Etowah Eagle Procedures
This memo provides a review of the procedures for submitting proposed Eagle Scout Service Projects for approval and submitting the completed Eagle Scout Application and Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook for certification and Boards of Review. Please share this information with all Scouts, unit leaders, committee members and parents.
Submitting Proposed Eagle Scout Service Projects for Approval
The District Advancement Committee must approve proposed Eagle Scout Service Projects BEFORE the actual work on the project can begin. The procedure to secure approval is as follows:
- The Scout MUST use the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook when preparing the proposal.
- A representative of the benefiting organization, the unit leader and the unit committee must approve, by signature, the proposed project.
- Upon completion of item #2, the Scout should schedule the review of his proposed project with the district Advancement Committee. This can be done by submitting an appointment request.
- Meetings to review Proposed Eagle Scout Service Projects will be scheduled once per month, usually at the District Eagle Board meeting normally held on the fourth Tuesday of each month.
- The Scout will appear before the committee, along with his original and three copies of the proposed project.
- If the board approves the project with contingents, the contingents must be approved in writing (email is usually used) by the board chairman before the actual work on the project can begin.
- The cut-off for appointment scheduling will be one week prior to the Eagle Boards.
Submitting the Eagle Scout Application and Project Completion
After all requirements for the rank of Eagle have been completed, the Scout should prepare the application, obtain all necessary signatures, complete the section of the workbook entitled “Carrying out the Project.” and include all attachments (statement of ambitions, photographs, etc.)
The reference letters should be mailed to the Scoutmaster or Life-to-Eagle coach. The letters should be delivered by the Scoutmaster, Life-to-Eagle Coach or Unit Representative to the Eagle Board of review unopened in the envelopes that they were mailed in on the night of the scout’s Eagle Board of Review.
The Scout should then, in the following order:
Make three copies of all documents. The original and each copy should be placed in separate folders or binders.
- Submit only the Eagle Rank Application to the Jefferson Scout Center. The cut off is two weeks prior to the Eagle Board of Review. Retain the original workbook and two copies.
- The scout should schedule his Eagle Board of Review with the district Advancement Committee. This can be done by submitting an appointment request.
- In the event there is an error with the Eagle Rank Application, the Scout will be contacted by the Etowah District Advancement Committee indicating what needs to be corrected.
- After certification, the original will be delivered to the District Eagle Board Chairman who will bring it to the District Eagle Board meeting on the evening of the scout’s scheduled appointment.
- The Scout must bring the three copies of his workbook, application and Life Ambition Statement to the Eagle Board of Review.