The Whitewater Kayaking program is designed for beginners, so it’s a good choice for anyone who wants to try it!
The weekend program operates out of Scoutland, where units can camp out for the weekend. It includes an evening session, a Saturday session on the lake, and (if the learners make enough progress on the lake) a Sunday river trip.
These are beginner whitewater kayak clinics open to learners of all ages, subject to the approval of the clinic instructors. The council provides the kayaking equipment; participants must bring certain personal items (see list). Limit: ten learners. Cost: nonrefundable equipment use fee of $200 for the entire unit.
A clinic begins with a one-hour evening land session at a mutually convenient location, with a TV and DVD available, before the weekend date. We usually have it at the unit meeting. The land session is followed by a weekend on the water, starting 7PM Friday at Scoutland, continuing Saturday on the lake, and returning to Scoutland Sunday by 6 PM after a river trip.
- Last unit meeting before your weekend date: Hold land session.
- Friday, 7PM: Report at Scoutland to check out equipment. (No Saturday starts.)
- Saturday 8AM: Report at Scoutland waterfront to begin lake session.
- Sunday 8AM: Leave Scoutland to go to river.
- Sunday 8PM: Return to Scoutland to check in equipment.
For further information, please contact the Whitewater Director, Scott Houser
Distribute the following documents to each participant:
- Information for Units attending WWK
- List of what to bring to the clinic
- Medical Form A,B & C
- Participant's Medical Information
- Agreement and Consent—Adults
- Agreement and Consent—Youth
Go ahead and make your reservation today! Whitewater Kayaking books up fast!
You can register below! If you have any question in regards to registering contact Heather Sisk at the Jefferson Service Center.
Registration Form for 2019-2020. 2018 is already booked.