The Climbing Program is open to all individuals who are at least 14 years of age or 13 years old and completed 8th grade when they plan to participate in the program and Scout Leaders. All Scouts and leaders must have a current medical form and agreement to participate form .
The program’s emphasis is climbing and rappelling. The Climbing Program builds on basic team and individual skills developed under the COPE program.
Participants in the Climbing Program should anticipate that overnight stays will be in a backpacking/low impact format. Participants should plan to bring their own meals, cooking can be individual or by the patrol method. Participants will be requested to wear long pants on all Climbing activities, bring clothing and personal items appropriate for the season and weather conditions (insect repellent).
The start point for the Climbing Program is the gathering area in Challenge Valley, the High Adventure area of Camp Rainey Mountain. Here the participants will be issued helmets and harnesses, learn basic knots used in climbing, rope management skills, and learn belay skills. Climbing and rappelling skills will be practiced on the Tower in Challenge Valley and various natural rock sites.
The primary offsite climbing site for the Climbing Program is Mt Currahee located in Toccoa, GA. This site is on the way back toward Atlanta which is on the way home for most. The end point for the Climbing Program is at the top of Mt Currahee. Here all participants will return helmets and climbing gear and head home.
Several Climbing Weekends are scheduled from August through May each year. (See Registration buttons @ bottom of page) Cost is $25 per participant.
Here are all the available dates for Climbing 2019
Feburary 15-17, 2019 August 16-18, 2019
March 15-17, 2019 September 13-15, 2019
April 5-7, 2019 October 11-13, 2019
May 3-5, 2019 November 8-10, 2019
If you would like to Request a specific date please contact Heather Sisk in the Camping Department at the Jefferson Service Center.
Medical Screening / Liability Release
All participants must complete and sign a Medical Screening/Liability Release
Medical Information for Youth High Adventure Participants
Medical Information for Adult High Adventure Participants
Two Day Climbing Instructor Training (March 2019)
Council Climbing Instructor Training weekends are regularly scheduled for individuals volunteering to joining the Council Climbing Team.
- Course begins Saturday, March 9, 2019 @ 8:30am till Sunday, March. 10th @ 4:30pm
- Class will be held at Camp Rainey Mountain and Mt. Currahee with a max. class size of 20 participants.
- Cost is $50 by 5:00pm on Friday, February 8th 2019 after then it will be $65
- Venturing youth can earn the Mountaineering Elective and/or become a UCI. Training is good for 1 year
- Fees includes: training instructor binder, shirt, and a patch
- Participants must be 16 years of age and up
- All meals will be the responsibility of the participants. Sack lunches are required for noon meals.
- Please bring 2 liters of water, leather gloves, sneakers, sunglasses, sunscreen, personal hygiene items, and anything you need to camp.
All youth & Adults must present a Current BSA Physical form and HA Agreement to Participate form. Have all forms with you upon arrival